In this podcast episode, Jenn talks about ways to more effectively give or receive feedback, both at work and at home.
Topics covered include:
Ways to be effective when giving feedback
- Motivation: Why are you giving this feedback?
- Being timely about it…give it as soon as possible after the behaviour or event.
- Taking care of where you are when you give the feedback. Confidentiality is important.
- Ask permission to give feedback
- Use “I” language
- Being specific, give concrete examples
- Give feedback that’s useful or helpful
- Make it about changeable things
- Ask for reaction to the feedback
Ways to best receive feedback
- Try not to be defensive
- Feedback can be a gift
- Take time to respond…breathe!
- Be curious
- You don’t have to agree with it. You can thank the person and still disagree
Giving and receiving feedback effectively is an important part of workplace professionalism, and of any good relationship. Take time to think about how you give and/or receive feedback, and how you might improve some of the points above. These are often points that are evaluated in job performance reviews, so learning more about them can actually improve your outcomes.
Jenn would love YOUR feedback on this or any other article or podcast episode!
Leave us your comments below.