Have you ever read an email you’ve been sent and wondered what the sender was thinking??
Have you ever sent an email, only to have it completely misunderstood by the receiver.
Good email etiquette (sometimes used to be called “Netiquette”, which is a little cutesy for me), communicates a lot about you and, in some cases, can make or break you getting invited to be interviewed, or can affect your advancement in your career. Email is communication, and it matters! Email etiquette is important to learn.
In this episode, I share 9 (probably more, but I numbered 9 of them) tips that will put you in your best light, and help you to avoid embarrassing mistakes.
- structuring the email: (remember how you learned to first write a business letter in school?)
- replying…when to do it, how, when to not…basically timing and your mood
- checking first (for answers to your questions, to their questions, to who is in the email chain)
- forgiveness (it’s huge)
- use of humour (not always wise)
- being mean (bullying and other bad email behaviour)
- courtesy and kindness
The emails you send are a reflection of you. Taking the time to learn email etiquette is a free and easy way to up your game, and to improve the overall impression you give others.
Anything to Add?
Drop me line or leave me a voice message via Speak pipe and I’ll be sure to respond.
Please Share this Episode!